Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Daily Fiber is more than a dietary issue


Ok, so last year I had grand intentions to try and document my obsession with fiber. When I see that February posting, it's hard to fathom how much has happened since then. Shortly after posting about my new sweater love, I was diagnosed with cancer. Speedy surgery, hospital stay, a few weeks to recover, then months of chemo. After all that, the climb out of the hole I found myself in... Enough of that, and now, on to the Good Stuff.



One of the ways I made myself feel better was a Visit to the Stash. I was a pretty new spinner, and yes, at the 08 Stitches West, had picked up some lovely little bundles to spin from Tactile Fiber Arts, A Verb for Keeping Warm, and Toots LeBlanc. I couldn't spin for a while since I had abdominal surgery, so I just admired the gorgeous colors, smelled the fiber, you know the game. After a couple chemo treatments, I couldn't knit easily due to the neuropathy in my hands, so I admired some of the yarn stash, waiting for the right project. It all made me feel so much better, even if the relief was temporary.



At some point I needed a fix, and decided to dive in. I screwed up a lot of projects, frogged em, and started another. My attention span was short, which gave me a good excuse to continue on that path for a while. As my hands improved, I started spinning. I truly believe the spinning helped me to find a calm, peaceful place that I sorely needed.



Well, anyway, I'm going to try and start this all over again, and see where it takes me. I've got some FOs to write about and some photos to post, along with some WIP. Back soon.

No comments: